Friday, July 13, 2007

convicting questions


I love my family and how they constantly challenge my views and thoughts. I have one family member in particular who has some very strong convictions on many issues. She brought up a topic that I honestly don't know how to argue. The topic is about children and allowing God to control how many we have instead of trying to control it ourselves with some type of birth control method. I know this is a hot topic but stay with me on this one. She was pointing out all the verses that say children are a blessing (which of course I'm familiar with) and she was just saying if I really believe God knows what's best for us then why do we try and control the number of children we have. Honestly when I thought about it, it was true.. Why do I say in songs I surrender all but honestly I know that this is an area in my life that I would like to control? Why is it ok to tell God when we don't want to have any more children or how many we think He should give us?

Trust me I tried to argue her on this one but my answers in all honesty didn't seem suffient to what the bible clearly says and to the good points she had in return..

All these questions are now stirring in my head. I know that no one can give me an answer for me personally but the Lord and searching it out more through prayer and bible reading.. but I do wonder what views others hold on this topic and why.


Disclaimer: I adore my children with every fiber of my being..i wanted to make sure somebody didn't get the wrong idea from this post :)

2 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

The thing is, how far are you wanting to take this argument? If you are going to surrender all to God and God is the great Healer then why should you ever go to a doctor? You should just trust God to heal you.

We also have a responsibility to our children and our planet to be responsible with bearing children. Should we overpopulate an already overcrowded planet that is being consumed daily? Should we have so many children that our current children can't be cared for because we have no money? There is probably a stewardship issue here.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I think there are more sides to the argument than what your family member gave you.

Kim Tostada said...

thanks for the input Eric.. it's always good to hear both sides. You made some good points as well that I didn't think of in my conversation w/ my dear family member.