Thursday, July 5, 2007

a higher calling???

So tonight I was talking to a friend and the topic of clothing and modesty in the church setting came up. Now that's not what I want to focus on in this post(that's a whole other post)..What I want to focus on is what that conversation led to. She made a comment about being surprised at what some pastor's wives and elder's wives wear to church. If i remember correctly I believe she mentioned something about them needing to dress more modestly because of the examples they are setting. So with that said... I started to think about the whole dress code for a pastor's wife since I am a pastor's wife. I thought of course I believe in modesty not just cause I'm a pastor's wife but because I am a christian. So here is the question that I would love feed back on.. Do you think that a pastor's wife should dress more conservative than the average christian woman just because she is a pastor's wife? Why or why not?


update: wow, i can't believe nobody has an opinion on this or at least no one wants to leave their opinion. I was just curious since other people i've talked to in person have had different opinions on this matter.. oh well. I gave it a shot on the blog.

4 comments:

Eric Wakeling said...

OK, you guilt tripped me into a response. My answer: NO. Any Christian woman should dress modestly and live by the same standard. So I don't think other Christian women should be able to dress less modestly. I think pastor's wives probably need to be more aware that other people are watching them.

Also, I guess I haven't noticed pastor's or elder's wives dressing immodestly, especially at church. I don't know if that means there is something wrong with me or I just haven't noticed or your friend is hyper-sensitive.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Eric on the whole "i havent noticed anybody" thing but I do have to say that Eric has made me blush a few times by what he was wearing... pull up your pants bro.... i'll buy you a belt if you need it.

Kim Tostada said...

thanks for the feedback eric and victor. I also havn't noticed any pastor's or elder's wives dressing immodestly either. I just thought i had that opinion since i'm a girl and don't pay too much attention to that kind of stuff unless it's something obviously inappropriate but both of you also agreed on this so it's probably just my friend is a bit sensitive. thanks guys.

Our Family said...

Well I'm a pators wife and I think we pastor's wives should wear long dresses and skirts...no pants or anything above the knees. Blouses that cover the arms and collars that rise up to the neck.j/k
Why do people put such higher expectiations on a pastors wife?
As woman of God we should all try to live worthy of the calling of which we were called. Pastor's wife or not we are women of God and we should show that in our attitude, actions and even in our dress. We are representing Christ and we should'nt try to be anything less. I do understand though because people will be people they do look more intently at those who are in leadership and there spouses and because of that I guess we do have a greater resonsibility. Its just the way it is.