Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Good Experience...

Lately I've been needing to take it easy because I've been getting early contractions... I don't go shopping much but yesterday I decided to go to Target with Victor since we needed a few things and I knew they had those motorized carts so I didn't have to be on my feet very long. The experience I had for that half hour really made an impression on me. First it was funny to see how many people gave me looks like why in the world is she in that thing... but the thing that was most interesting was to experience how hard it was to get down some isles and how I constantly had to wait for people so that I could finally get through an isle. Also, I thought to myself if I was bound to this chair there were so many things that I could not reach and I would be very limited in what I could and could not get. For instance i had to pick out a card for a friend and I decided that I wanted to stay seated and pick from just the selection that was in front of me. It was tough not to see my other options and even if I could get a glimpse I certainly was not able to reach it. Nobody was around to help either. Obviously I could get up if I wanted to but I just thought it would be interesting to see what it was like in someone else's shoes that had no other choice. This experience made me realize that I take a lot of every day things like walking for granted.. It made me realize that people actually treat you differently and very often act like you are bothering them if they need to move to make more room for you. This was just my experience but it did two things for me. First it made me grateful for the things I take for granted and second it made me more aware of the perspective somebody in a wheel chair may have and to remember how I would want to be treated if I was in their shoes. I'm glad I got to experience this and I hope it's something that I won't forget.

No comments: