Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Your Will Be Done"

Yesterday I had a couple girlfriends over and we were talking about a sermon that we heard on prayer. One person mentioned how the speaker had said when we pray in faith and then add at the end "your will be done" that those types of prayers seem to lack faith.

Yet that didn't settle well with any of us. As I recall in Luke 22:42 as Jesus is praying he says "Father if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will but yours be done."

Did Jesus lack faith? Of course not! I believe this prayer serves us a great example that things come into our lives that are difficult but God's will is of the upmost importance and if our circumstances (whatever they are) as believers is in His will, it will be used in some way for good like promised in Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose."

I say we ought to pray as Jesus did with all our prayers "not my will but yours be done."

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Wakeling said...

As the preacher who said the words, I should say that you are misquoting the preacher who said the words. I said that we are supposed to pray those words, but that sometimes people (including myself) pray them more as a disclaimer because we are doubting, rather than truly meaning that we want the Lord's will to be done.

Kim Tostada said...

Eric,
Your so funny..Actually, this was told to me by someone who was visiting our church when we were going through the prayer series..but you weren't the speaker that day that they visited.. so..uhh.. I'm not sure what to tell ya :)

Kim Tostada said...

by the way, I agree with your point