Friday, September 14, 2007

Mini Celebrity

A few days ago Victor and I were having dinner outside the coffee shop at church and a very nice lady started talking to us like she's known both of us for so long. I of course go along with it and have a short conversation with her. I assumed that she must know Victor some how so when she left I asked him who she was.. he responded that he had NO idea. It's kinda wierd being apart of a church where people know who you are but you don't know them.. This happens to us pretty often obviously because Victor is an up front guy. It's almost like he is a mini celebrity. I'm still trying to get used to it.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

It's odd, huh? My father was/is a Huge deal in our "church" and in all of OC (not Calvary); we were one of Those families - it was kind of hard to live that though... when my sister "fell apart" and got pregnant before marriage, we crashed in everyone's eyes... that was an amazingly hard thing to go through. Not to be all negative about it... lol
We got to do and see some pretty cool things because we were "Jim's kids". ;o)

Kim Tostada said...

hey Brooke,
I really appreciate you sharing. It is pretty odd. I think about my kids often and pray that they don't feel pressure to play the christian role (of course when they are older) because they are "victor's kids" but instead I pray that they would seek to genuinly live for God and please His heart and not worry about what types of expectations people put on them.

Anonymous said...

For me, this would be a difficult part of being a pastor & pastor's wife. Having a bunch of people *think* they know you, since they see you regularly, but you don't know them at all.

I appreciate getting to know the pastors & their families for this reason. Sometimes when Josh Matlock (I'm dear friends with kristy) says things when preaching, since i know them so well, i almost receive his teaching better, because i care about him and his wife so much. It is like I am a groopie or something. I WANT him to do well. I root for him. And I'm sure there are many people rooting for Victor and you, Kim, as you serve together. It is good you have such close friends who are safe for you, as you live out your mini-celebrity!!

Our Family said...

Yea,
I know what you mean. I feel that way even being at a small church. The only thing is that Shane usually knows everyone and I only know maybe 30%. I have such a hard time remembering names. Last night at the softball game this lady was welcoming me and Micah and I see her at church but I cannot remember her name and then the kids names to. I don't know it might be off the topic but I just feel horrible having people know you but you don't know them. Sometimes I wish I could just meet people without them already knowing, oh your Shanes wife.

Kim Tostada said...

Karen and Katie,
Thanks for your input.. I agree with both of you. It's nice when people actually try and get to know you and not assume they know you.. It's also stinks when they know your name and don't introduce themselves and tell you theirs.. I identify with that almost every week :)